What will the new year bring us? Last year was pretty busy. In no particular order, I
1. Bought a new car. Good times.
2. Lost my job. Bad times.
3. Moved to a new city, Cape Girardeau, Missouri.
4. Started a small (yet modestly successful) business designing and making jewelry.
5. Reconnected with a great friend from high school. Hi Maria!
6. Traveled to North Carolina for a family birthday celebration along the Laurel River. Sublime!
7. Traveled to Wisconsin and celebrated Halloween with my son and daughter-in-law. We also went to a rock shop, and visited the Audubon Society nature preserve where he works.
8. Read 8 books.
9. Accomplished a lot of virtual farming in FarmVille. Belted cows are a very good thing.
10. Lost 38 pounds.
11. Took a class in wire wrapping. Used one of the rocks I bought in Wisconsin.
12. Nursed a very sick cat back to health. Charlie used one of his 9 lives.
13. Made 15 trips to the hospital for immunoglobulin infusions. Yeah St. Louis University Hospital!
14. Photographed orchids, children, trees, animals, jewelry, and heaven knows what else.
15. Applied for social security disability and was approved on the first try.
16. Successfully avoided unhealthy exposure to the sun and UV light.
17. Witnessed first hand the damage and devastation of a F3 tornado. This one was on New Year’s Eve. A 50 ft. white pine tree uprooted and crashed through my ex’s home. Nobody was injured.
18. Adjusted to life out of the fast lane of full-time employment. That was a challenge.
19. Celebrated my sister’s retirement. Actually, we’re still celebrating.
20. Learned not to feel guilty about getting 8-10 hours of sleep every night.
All in all, after a rocky start and a scary ending with a tornado, 2010 wasn’t too bad. This year I’m looking forward to a less stressful life, managing my health and living with lupus in the slow lane. Despite everything I remain optimistic and determined to live in the present. Stay tuned.